Kindred CPA uses an electronic delivery system for tax returns called SafeSend Returns. SafeSend Returns allows clients to review their tax return and sign their e-file authorization form(s) online. Then, SafeSend Returns automatically and securely sends the form(s) back to Kindred CPA.
Here’s How It Works
- Once your tax return is ready, Kindred CPA will send you an email using the sender address of either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add these addresses to your safe senders list.
- The email will contain a safe link for you to access your tax return.
- After clicking on the link, you’ll be asked to enter the last four digits of your Social Security number to review your return.
- SafeSend will then email you an access code to further verify your identity. Check your spam or junk folders if you don’t see it in your inbox. You must enter the code within 20 minutes of receipt. If you don’t enter the code within 20 minutes, you can request another.
- 1040 Returns – When you’re ready to sign your e-file authorization form(s), you’ll be asked three simple questions to verify your identity (1040 clients only).
- 1041 and 1065/1120 Returns – If your tax return includes K-1s to be distributed, you will see the option to email K-1s to the appropriate recipients by entering their email addresses.
- Once you’ve signed the e-file authorization form(s), your Kindred CPA professional will be notified and will complete the rest of the e-filing process.
Benefits of Using SafeSend Returns
- Receive your tax returns securely without the need to set up an account or remember a password
- Accessible across all platforms: computer, smartphone, or tablet
- Electronically sign your federal and state e-file authorizations (8879), with no printing or mailing necessary
- Receive payment reminder e-mails
- Download a copy of your tax return
- For businesses, conveniently distribute your K-1s electronically
For more detailed information, please click below:
Business Entity Returns:
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will I receive a notification when my return is ready to sign?
A: Yes. Email notifications will be sent from Kindred CPA at email@example.com. To prevent the email from getting filtered to spam/junk, we recommend adding this email addresses to your safe list.
Q: Is it safe to enter part of my Social Security Number?
A: Yes. SafeSend Returns offers a secure system to view and sign your e-file authorization form(s). Look for https:// at the beginning of the site URL and a locked padlock symbol in your browser’s URL bar to confirm you are on the secure site.
Q: What if I don’t receive an email with my access code?
A: Check your spam/junk email folder. If you do not receive your code within the 20-minute time limit, please request another. You can also search your email for “firstname.lastname@example.org.”
Q: Where do the identity verification questions come from? What if I don’t remember the answers?
A: The questions SafeSend Returns asks are knowledge-based questions pulled from government and credit sources. You may be asked questions such as where you lived in a given year, or when you bought your car or home. In the event the questions do not apply to you, simply choose the answer that accurately reflects this. If you don’t remember the answers to the questions, or you answer incorrectly, you won’t be able to electronically sign your e-file authorization form(s). You can instead print, sign and return your e-file authorization form(s) to Kindred CPA.
Q: Will this work on any internet-connected device? Does SafeSend Returns offer an app for my smartphone?
A: This process can be completed on any computer, smart phone, or tablet via a web browser. There is currently no SafeSend Returns app available.
Q: Will I have the option to download and print my return to retain for my records?
A: Yes. You can download and print your return from a computer. If you’re using a smartphone or tablet, you’ll can review and e-sign your return package but may not be able to print it. Please use a laptop or desktop computer for the best printing experience.
Q: How is this process different from e-filing?
A: SafeSend Returns allows you to electronically sign your e-file authorization form(s), but it won’t submit your return to the IRS. Once signed, Kindred CPA is automatically notified, and we will then complete the filing process for you, including submission to the IRS.
Q: My spouse and I file our return jointly. How can we both sign the e-file authorization form(s)?
A: For spouses filing jointly, there are two ways to sign via SafeSend Returns:
- If both spouses have an email address, one spouse will receive an email with a link to view the return and sign the e-file authorization form(s). That spouse will also receive a link with identity verification questions specific to him/her. He or she will sign the e-file authorization form(s) and input the other spouse’s email address, which will send an email link to the second spouse, enabling the second spouse to view the return, answer identity verification questions specific to him or her and also sign the e-file authorization form(s).
- If a couple shares an email address, the primary signer will first receive a link with identity verification questions specific to him/her. After the primary signer signs the e-file authorization form(s), he/she can then enter the shared email address again. A new link will be sent with identity verification questions specific to the second spouse.
Q: Can I sign my dependent’s return electronically?
A: We will deliver your dependent’s return via SafeSend Returns, however, due to the knowledge-based identification requirements of the IRS, a minor dependent may not qualify, so you will need to manually sign and return your dependent’s e-file authorization form.
Q: I’d rather print and sign my e-file authorization form(s). Can I do that?
A: Yes, you can still print, sign and mail your e-file form(s) back to Kindred CPA if you’d prefer to do so.
Q: After signing my e-file authorization form(s), will I receive confirmation that it was successfully submitted?
A: Yes! Once you sign your e-file authorization form(s), you will receive an email stating it was successful. The email will also include a link to download a copy of your tax return for your records.
Q: Can I set up reminders for my quarterly estimated payment?
A: If estimated payments are included in your review copy, you will automatically receive an email reminder 7 days before your payment is due.
For More Assistance
If you have additional questions regarding SafeSend Returns, please give us a call at 785.842.8844.